Synthesis and characterization of carbon-coated calcium aluminate aerogels
PUBLISHED June 30, 2023 (DOI: https://doi.org/10.54985/peeref.2306p7410167)
Yury Y. Gerus1 , Alexander F. Bedilo2 , Ekaterina V. Ilyina2
- Boreskov Institute of Catalysis SB RAS; Novosibirsk State University
- Boreskov Institute of Catalysis SB RAS
Conference / event
- The 8th Asian Symposium on Advanced Materials ASAM-8, July 2023 (Novosibirsk, Russian Federation)
- Calcium aluminate 12CaO•7Al2O3 (commonly denoted as C12A7), also known as mayenite, is an object of particular scientific interest. Its structure includes a cationic framework [Ca24Al28O64]4+ compensated by the presence of an anionic lattice 4Xˉ. The aerogel technique involving supercritical drying of a gel is one of effective ways for synthesis of finely dispersed materials. Various phase transformations accompanied by considerable sintering of the material can occur at elevated temperatures. One of the prominent ways to solve this problem is coating of nanoparticles with porous carbon. In this study, resorcinol added to the reaction mixture before the hydrolysis step was used as an organic precursor for deposition of a carbon coating on the surface of finely dispersed calcium aluminate. Stabilization of the porous structure of the resorcinol-modified samples after treatment at 900°C and 1100°C in an argon flow was observed.
- Aerogel, Mayenite, Carbon coating, Sol-gel, Adsorption, Porous structure
- Chemistry, Material Sciences
- K. Hayashi, S. Matsuishi., T. Kamiya, M. Hirano, H. Hosono. Light-induced conversion of an insulating refractory oxide into a persistent electronic conductor. Nature. 419 (2002) 462.
- E.V. Ilyina, Y.Y. Gerus, S.V. Cherepanova, A.F. Bedilo. Synthesis of C12A7 calcium aluminate aerogels. Mater. Lett. 293 (2021) 129699.
- E.V. Ilyina , A.F. Bedilo, S.V. Cherepanova, Y.Y. Gerus, E.I. Shuvarakova, A.A. Vedyagin. Aerogel Synthesis of Calcium Aluminates with Varied Stoichiometry J. Sol-Gel Sci. Technol. 104 (2022) 259.
- A.M. Volodin, A.F. Bedilo, V.O. Stoyanovskii , V.I. Zaikovskii, R.M. Kenzhin, I.V. Mishakov, A.A. Vedyagin. Nanocrystalline carbon coated alumina with enhanced phase stability at high temperatures. RSC Adv. 7 (2017) 548524.
- Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation (No. AAAA-A21-121011390054-1)
- Abstract Download
- Competing interests
- No competing interests were disclosed.
- Data availability statement
- The datasets generated during and / or analyzed during the current study are available from the corresponding author on reasonable request.
- Creative Commons license
- Copyright © 2023 Gerus et al. This is an open access work distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.