Tailored mechanical property of liquid crystal elastomer fiber actuator
PUBLISHED June 30, 2023 (DOI: https://doi.org/10.54985/peeref.2306p9345555)
Seungjoon Oh1 , Suk-kyun Ahn1
- Pusan National University
Conference / event
- The 8th Asian Symposium on Advanced Materials (ASAM-8), July 2023 (Novosibirsk, Russian Federation)
- Liquid Crystal Elastomer (LCE), which can respond to various external stimuli with large and reversible contractions, has long been recognized as potential candidate for artificial muscles. . Unlike 2D or 3D structures, fiber can deform quickly and demonstrate many actions by design pattern. However, the recent reports of LCE fibers demonstrated exciting opportunities to create intelligent textiles as well as micro-actuators with fast response.[1-3] We make LCE Fiber continuously using 3D printer set-up, and fiber contracts repeatably well. However, the low mechanical property makes LCE fiber hard to apply to weaving. Herein, we make LCE fiber stronger using a liquid crystal solution. In our experiments, we make LC Elastomer fiber stronger using a double network strategy with almost no reduction in strain compared to pristine. We also decrease the stickiness of LCE fiber which is unfavorable to clothing system, and we make a weaving sample with long LCE fiber well.
- Liquid crystal elastomer, Fiber, Tailor mechanical property, Actuator, Weaving
- Material Sciences, Chemistry
- ACS AMI, 2019, 19514
- Small, 2021, 210
- Molecules, 2022, 4330
- Adv.Mater. Technol., 2022, 21200934
- Angew.Chem.Int.Ed, 2012, 12469
- Adv. Mater., 2023,202210689
- Adv. Mater., 2023, 2302706
- No data provided
- No data provided
- Competing interests
- No competing interests were disclosed.
- Data availability statement
- Data sharing not applicable to this poster as no datasets were generated or analyzed during the current study.
- Creative Commons license
- Copyright © 2023 Oh et al. This is an open access work distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Become a Peeref-certified reviewer
The Peeref Institute provides free reviewer training that teaches the core competencies of the academic peer review process.Get Started
Ask a Question. Answer a Question.
Quickly pose questions to the entire community. Debate answers and get clarity on the most important issues facing researchers.Get Started