64 Views · 6 Downloads · ☆☆☆☆☆ 0.0
Tensile and torsional loads stress distribution along the drill string for deep wells
PUBLISHED March 17, 2023 (DOI: https://doi.org/10.54985/peeref.2303p6675482)
NOT PEER REVIEWED
- University M’hamed Bougara, Boumerdes, Faculty of Hydrocarbons and Chemistry Independence Street, 35
Conference / event
- 2nd International Congress on Energy Efficiency and Energy Related Materials (ENEFM2014), October 2014 (Ölüdeniz, Turkey)
- Torque and drag are sometimes overlooked when drilling simple wells. In deep wells this is not acceptable. Proper decision made using correct torque and drag can make all the difference between TD drilling and suspended drilling. Therefore, the over pull load plus the torque are the most important points to be considered in deep well drilling, since the resistance of the drill string body to the combined efforts will limit probably its tensional limit. The results shows, fatigue damage from rotation in dogleg during back reaming operation is a significant problem if the severity is greater then the critical value. So the position of drill pipe in the string will influence the amount of fatigue damage it sustains. Back reaming can reduce the fatigue life of the drill pipe significantly because of the reversal stress of the drill string under tension in a dog leg.
- Torque and drag, Deep well, Drilling
- Material Sciences, Mechanical Engineering, Energy Engineering
- Aadnoy, B.S. & Andersen, K. (2001). Design of Oil Wells Using Analytical Friction Models. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 32, 53-71.
- No data provided
- No data provided
- Competing interests
- No competing interests were disclosed.
- Data availability statement
- The datasets generated during and / or analyzed during the current study are available from the corresponding author on reasonable request.
- Creative Commons license
- Copyright © 2023 Belkacem. This is an open access work distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Belkacem, L. Tensile and torsional loads stress distribution along the drill string for deep wells [not peer reviewed]. Peeref 2023 (poster).Copy citation