76 Views · 13 Downloads · ★★★★★ 5.0
A side-chain tripeptide based PEGylated block copolymer: a potential drug candidate in Alzheimer’s disease translational therapeutics
PUBLISHED March 14, 2023 (DOI: https://doi.org/10.54985/peeref.2303p6424311)
NOT PEER REVIEWED
Sutapa Som Chaudhury1 , Jaya Sil1 , Sabyashachi Mishra2 , Chitrangada Das Mukhopadhyay1
- Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
Conference / event
- 4th IBRO/APRC Chandigarh Associate Neuroscience School, November 2019 (Chandigarh, India)
- Despite a 100 years of research in Alzheimer’s disease (AD), there is no therapeutic measure available till date for AD. The researchers here have designed and synthesized a PEGylated, side-chain tripeptide (leu-val-phe) based block copolymer targeting anti- aggregation of misfolded amyloid beta peptide (Aβ1-42). The block copolymer was assessed via different in vitro and in silico techniques e.g., thioflavin T (ThT) assay, dynamic light scattering (DLS) analyses, atomic force microscopy (AFM), electron microscopy, and molecular dynamic (MD) simulation techniques. A significant demolition of the characteristic β- sheet structure of growing Aβ42 fibril chain in presence of the inhibitor was observed through their experiments. Also, they deciphered the drug mechanism of action as a competitive inhibition between the hydrophobic core region of Aβ42 and the block copolymer itself. Thus, the researchers showed the PEGylated block copolymer as a promising drug candidate of AD.
- Alzheimer's disease, Amyloid beta peptide, Inhibitor, Fibrillization, Peptidomimetics, MD simulation
- Neuroscience, Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, Biological Sciences
- S Som Chaudhury, A Sannigrahi, M Nandi, V K Mishra, P De, K Chattopadhyay, S Mishra, J Sil and C Das Mukhopadhyay, Molecular Neurobiology 56, 2019, 6551–6565.
- H Xu, J Park, W Wu, A Malagon, L Wang, E Vargas, A Wikramanayake, K N Houk and R M Leblanc, Chemical science 8, 2017, 2003-2009.
- C D Mukhopadhyay, B Ruidas and S S Chaudhury, Int J Neurorehabilitation 4, 2017, 2376-0281.
- S Hadas, R Chen, I Grinberg and S Margel, Biomacromolecules 13, 2012, 2662-2670.
- B Sergey O, E V Bovina and A A Ustyugov, Medicinal research reviews 37, 2017, 1186-1225.
- J L Cummings, T Morstorf and Kate Zhong, Alzheimer's research & therapy 6, 2014, 37.
- S Lon S, F Mangialasche, N Andreasen, H Feldman, E Giacobini, R Jones and V Mantua, Journal of internal medicine 275, 2014, 251-283.
- No data provided
- Competing interests
- No competing interests were disclosed.
- Data availability statement
- The datasets generated during and / or analyzed during the current study are available from the corresponding author on reasonable request.
- Creative Commons license
- Copyright © 2023 Som Chaudhury et al. This is an open access work distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Som Chaudhury, S., Sil, J., Mishra, S., Das Mukhopadhyay, C. A side-chain tripeptide based PEGylated block copolymer: a potential drug candidate in Alzheimer’s disease translational therapeutics [not peer reviewed]. Peeref 2023 (poster).Copy citation