Zircon U Pb ages and Hf isotopes tracking the origin of Permian Paraná Basin ash fall layers: are they coming from Choiyoi formation?
PUBLISHED October 19, 2022 (DOI: https://doi.org/10.54985/peeref.2210p5895640)
Mariana De Matheus Marques Dos Santos1 , Cláudia Regina Passarelli1 , Miguel Angelo Stipp Basei1 , Antonio Roberto Saad1 , Paulo Roberto Dos Santos1 , Oswaldo Siga Júnior1
- Institute of Geoscience - University of São Paulo
Conference / event
- XII South American Symposium on Isotope Geology, SSAGI 2022, July 2022 (Santiago, Chile)
- In the Paleozoic, during the supercontinent Pangea, the regions furthest from the active margins experienced extensive periods of tectonic stability and large syneclyses have been formed in south Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay. In Brazil, volcanic ash and volcanic glass fragments were found in several formations of the Paraná Basin, such as the Rio Bonito, Irati, Rio do Rasto, and Estrada Nova/Teresina. We present new Hf isotope compositions of zircons previously dated by SHRIMP U-Pb ages (Rocha Campos et al. 2011, 2019) with an interest in deepening the previous suggestions that the volcanic ash-fall layers and vitroclastic-carrying sediments from the Paraná Basin and the Choiyoi Formation volcanic rocks would have a common origin, in addition to their Permian ages.
- Paraná Basin, Choiyoi Igneous Province, LA-ICP-MS, Ash fall layers, U-Pb, Hf
- Earth Sciences
- No data provided
- FUSP (No. 3218)
- FAPESP (No. 2015/03737-0)
- No data provided
- Competing interests
- No competing interests were disclosed.
- Data availability statement
- The datasets generated during and / or analyzed during the current study are available from the corresponding author on reasonable request.
- Creative Commons license
- Copyright © 2022 De Matheus Marques Dos Santos et al. This is an open access work distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Find the ideal target journal for your manuscript
Explore over 38,000 international journals covering a vast array of academic fields.Search
Become a Peeref-certified reviewer
The Peeref Institute provides free reviewer training that teaches the core competencies of the academic peer review process.Get Started