252 Views · 32 Downloads · ☆☆☆☆☆ 0.0
Bilateral Hydrocele of Canal of Nuck in Adult Females – A Case Report
PUBLISHED August 10, 2022 (DOI: https://doi.org/10.54985/peeref.2208p1854969)
NOT PEER REVIEWED
Devi Shanker Malik1 , B.S. Dhakad1
- Eternal Hospital
Conference / event
- 79th Annual Conference of the Association of Surgeons of India, December 2019 (Bhubaneshwar, India)
- Bilateral hydrocele of canal of Nuck in adult females is exceptionally rare. The canal of Nuck was first described by a Dutch Anatomist Anton Nuck in 1691. The canal of Nuck is the portion of processus vaginalis in the inguinal canal in women. This is homologous to the processus vaginalis of male anatomy and is also called as Female Hydrocele. Ultrasonography is the preferred investigation but magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) has to be done to confirm the diagnosis preoperatively. The treatment remains the excision of hydrocele of the canal of Nuck which can be done both laparoscopically as well as by open surgical method. A case of bilateral hydrocele of the canal of Nuck in adult female is presented here which was treated by laparoscopic surgery with mesh repair just like in trans abdominal preperitoneal repair of inguinal hernia. The diagnosis was later confirmed by histopathology.
- Hydrocele of canal of Nuck, Patent processus vaginalis, Canal of Nuck, Female hydrocele
- Medical Imaging, Medicine
- Rees MA, Squires JE, Tadros S, Squires JH (2017) Canal of Nuck hernia: A multimodality imaging review. Pediatric Radiol 47:893–898.
- Counseller VS, Black BM (1941) Hydrocele of the Canal of Nuck. Ann. Surg. 113:625–630.
- Fikatas Panagiotis et al (2020) Hydroceles of the canal of Nuck in adults-Diagnostic, Treatment and results of a rare condition in females. J Clin Med 9:4026. https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm9124026.
- Sarkar S, Panja S, Kumar S (2016) Hydrocele of the Canal of Nuck (Female Hydrocele): a rare diferential for inguino-labial swelling. J Clin Diagn Res 10:PD21–PD22.
- Thomas AK, Thomas RL, Thomas B (2020) Canal of Nuck Abnormalities. J. Ultrasound Med. 39:385–395.
- No data provided
- No data provided
- Competing interests
- None declared.
- Data availability statement
- Data sharing not applicable to this poster as no datasets were generated or analyzed during the current study.
- Creative Commons license
- Copyright © 2022 Malik et al. This is an open access work distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.