104 Views · 43 Downloads · ☆☆☆☆☆ 0.0
A photometric study of the active EW/RS binary star system: GSC 05586-00371
PUBLISHED January 17, 2023 (DOI: https://doi.org/10.54985/peeref.2301p9083564)
NOT PEER REVIEWED
Stephen M. Brincat1 , Charles Galdies2 , Grech Winston3 , Tavakkoli Fereshte4 , Kevin Hills1
- American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO)
- University of Malta
- Astronomical Society of Malta
- Kashan University
Conference / event
- Astronomical Society of Malta (ASM) & Institute of Space Sciences & Astronomy (ISSA) Symposium, December 2022 (Kalkara, Malta)
- GSC 05586-00371 is a fast-rotating (P.rot ≈ 0.44 days) eclipsing binary. Our study showed that this star system is an overcontact eclipsing binary star that belongs to the W UMa class with characteristics of RS CVn type stars. We studied this binary system through photometric means to obtain a more precise orbital period. We also monitored the binary system to detect possible flares from the system, where two consecutive events were monitored from one of our observing stations. We have derived a model for this binary system based on the empirical data we acquired that revealed the presence of star spots on both components that evolve over a seasonal periods.
- Binary star, RS CVn, Photometry, Variable stars, EW star, Observations
- Astronomy and Planetary Sciences
- Brincat, M. S., Galdies, C., Grech, W., Tavakkoli, F., & Hills, K. (2022). A photometric study of the active EW/RS Binary Star System: GSC 05586-00371. Open European Journal on Variable Stars, 231, 1-23.
- No data provided
- No data provided
- Competing interests
- No competing interests were disclosed.
- Data availability statement
- The datasets generated during and / or analyzed during the current study are available from the corresponding author on reasonable request.
- Creative Commons license
- Copyright © 2023 Brincat et al. This is an open access work distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brincat, S., Galdies, C., Winston, G., Fereshte, T., Hills, K. A photometric study of the active EW/RS binary star system: GSC 05586-00371 [not peer reviewed]. Peeref 2023 (poster).Copy citation