60 Views · 40 Downloads · ☆☆☆☆☆ 0.0
Characterization of ethylene-propylene-diene terpolymers using high-temperature size exclusion chromatography coupled with an ultraviolet detector
PUBLISHED November 30, 2022 (DOI: https://doi.org/10.54985/peeref.2211p1950002)
NOT PEER REVIEWED
Subrajeet Deshmukh1 , Robert Brüll1 , Tibor Macko1 , Jan Hendrik Arndt1 , Raffaele Bernardo2 , Sander Niessen2
- Fraunhofer Institute for Structural Durability and System Reliability
- ARLANXEO Netherlands B.V.
Conference / event
- PolyChar 2022, May 2022 (Virtual)
- The distribution of the pendant double bond along the molar mass axis impacts the vulcanization behavior of ethylene-propylene-diene (EPDM) terpolymers. Yet, the analysis of this parameter has so far been hampered by the lack of suitable detection methods. Towards this goal we have investigated the potential of Ultraviolet detection for high temperature size exclusion chromatography of EPDM terpolymers containing 5-ethylidene-2-norbornene (ENB), dicyclopentadiene (DCPD), and vinyl norbornene (VNB) as termonomer. The influence of termonomer on the spectroscopic response was probed. EPDM containing ENB showed a significantly stronger UV-absorption compared to terpolymers with VNB and DCPD. An evaporative light scattering detector (ELSD) was employed to monitor the analyte concentration, in combination with the UV detector, to quantitatively measure the distribution of ENB content along the molar mass distribution. This work could be feasible for the other two commercial relevant termonomers DCPD and VNB.
- High temperature - size exclusion chromatography, Ethylene propylene diene polymers, Ultraviolet detector, Structure property relationships, Comonomer distribution
- Chemistry, Material Sciences
- Deshmukh, S., Brüll, R., Macko, T., Arndt, J.H., Bernardo, R., Niessen, S., 2022. Characterization of ethylene-propylene-diene terpolymers using high-temperature size exclusion chromatography coupled with an ultraviolet detector. Polymer, 242, p.124585.
- No data provided
- No data provided
- Competing interests
- No competing interests were disclosed.
- Data availability statement
- The datasets generated during and / or analyzed during the current study are available from the corresponding author on reasonable request.
- Creative Commons license
- Copyright © 2022 Deshmukh et al. This is an open access work distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Deshmukh, S., Brüll, R., Macko, T., Hendrik Arndt, J., Bernardo, R., Niessen, S. Characterization of ethylene-propylene-diene terpolymers using high-temperature size exclusion chromatography coupled with an ultraviolet detector [not peer reviewed]. Peeref 2022 (poster).Copy citation